Image 1 of 1

387156.jpg

Doorway at the Long Alley Almshouses in Abingdon, Oxfordshire, UK, parts of which were built in the 15th & 16th centuries. Above the door the triangular panel represents six almswomen and is believed to be painted by Sampson Strong (1550-1611).They dwellings were founded  by the medieval Fraternity of the Holy Cross which started the building work in 1446/47 and are now administered by the Christ's Hospital charity, founded in 1553. The large roof lantern or daylighting cupola, which can be seen was added in 1707.