Image 1 of 1

387781.jpg

The County Hall (now a museum)  Abingdon-on-Thames, seen through the arches of the gateway to Abingdon Abbey grounds. The County Hall, now a museum, was built in 1678 by Christopher Kempster, who is believed to have worked with Wren on St Paul's Cathedral in London. The gateway is one of the few remaining Abbey structures. Abingdon was situated in the county of Berkshire, but under  local government re-organisation in 1974 it was transferred to Oxfordshire.