vA niche containing a statue of The Virgin Mary over the gateway to Abingdon Abbey. The Abbey, which was founded as a small monastery in the 10th Century, fell during the Dissolution in 1538, was dedicated to The Virgin. The head of the statue was replaced in modern times as it is believed the original head was removed by troops of The Commonwealth during the English Civil War (1642-1651). The Gateway or Gatehouse spans the old road, now pedestrianised, and is one of the few remaining structures of the Abbey still surviving although it has been extensively restored. Abingdon was situated in the county of Berkshire, but under local government re-organisation in 1974 it was transferred to Oxfordshire.