Image 1 of 1

3871039.jpg

Gateway to the Long Alley Almshouses in Abingdon, Oxfordshire, UK, parts of which were built in the 15th & 16th centuries. They dwellings were founded  by the medieval Fraternity of the Holy Cross which started the building work in 1446/47 and are now administered by the Christ's Hospital charity, founded in 1553. The almshouses continue to be occupied by elderly residents of the local area. Abingdon was situated in the county of Berkshire, but under  local government re-organisation in 1974 it was transferred to Oxfordshire.