Image 1 of 1

387147.jpg

Rear view and gardens of the Long Alley Almshouses in Abingdon, Oxfordshire, UK, parts of which were built in the 15th & 16th centuries. They dwellings were founded  by the medieval Fraternity of the Holy Cross which started the building work in 1446/47 and are now administered by the Christ's Hospital charity, founded in 1553. The large roof lantern or daylighting cupola, which can be seen was added in 1707.