Image 1 of 1

461209.jpg

An old cast-iron standpipe in Fyfield, Oxfordshire, UK. The facility, which provided drinking water, was installed for village use in 1903 by St. John's College, Oxford, who were the main landlord of the village, and fed from a nearby well. The alternative to using this standpipe was to pump water manually from one of the village pumps.