Image 1 of 1

387664.jpg

The undercroft, which served as a market area, of the County Hall in Abingdon-on-Thames. The Hall was built between 1677 and 1682 with stone and funding provided by Christopher Kempster, who is believed to have worked with Wren on St Paul's Cathedral in London. The woodworking including the beams seen here was by Avery Hobbs, a local carpenter. The total cost of the building was £2812. Abingdon was situated in the county of Berkshire, but under local government re-organisation in 1974 it was transferred to Oxfordshire.