Image 1 of 1

468075.jpg

The arched walkway of The Shambles in Wetherby, West Yorkshire. The building was erected in 1811 by the then Duke of Devonshire to accommodate butchers' shops, rented out for three guineas (three pounds & three shillings) per year. The street was later used in the 19th Century as an open market for local farmers to sell their dairy produce and has now been developed and renovated as part of the pedestrian area within the town centre.