Image 1 of 1
Abingdon-Roysse-2.jpg
The entrance, in the gateway to Abingdon Abbey, to the school founded by a bequest from John Roysse, an Abingdon man who had risen to a position of wealth in London in the early 16th century. Although it is thought that a school was in existence on this site before 1563, the year shown on the plaque, it is now believed that this date marks the re-endowment of the school, which eventually became Abingdon School and which flourishes to this day. Abingdon was situated in the county of Berkshire, but under  local government re-organisation in 1974 it was transferred to Oxfordshire.